- connect to the M&M Central with the Management Console / CLI / Web-Interface / SOAP-interface
- add a DNS/DHCP Server (Controller) to the M&M Central.
- auto-update the DNS/DHCP Server Controllers to a newer version (starting with version 6.2 for supported platforms)
- SNMP discovery might fail/timeout
- PING discovery might not work
The Men & Mice Suite uses two services, in addition to the DNS/DHCP service itself.
The Men & Mice Central service listens on port 1231/TCP for inbound connections from the Management Console / CLI / Web-Interface / SOAP-Interface.
These Ports are officially registered by Men & Mice for the Men & Mice Suite modules (http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers)Of course, the DNS service itself listens on the standard port 53, both UDP and TCP.
Beside the Men & Mice Suite specific ports you want to check if the following ports/services are open/allowed:
- If you configure SNMP Profiles in the Men & Mice Suite for router/switch discovery of ARP information as well as subnet information you want to check that the configured SNMP port (usually port 162/UDP) on the routers/switches is accessible
by the machine that is executing the Men & Mice Central process/service.
- The DNS/DHCP Controller service on Windows is utilizing RPC calls to communicate with the DNS/DHCP servers. Please make sure that the Controller service can access port 135/TCP and high ports (usually 49152-65535) on the
managed DNS/DHCP server. If the Controller is directly installed on the DNS/DHCP server (Microsoft with Agent Installed) this should not be an issue as the communication is done locally.
In case the Controller is used as proxy (Microsoft Agent-Free) and is not directly installed on the DNS/DHCP server, the mentioned ports (135/tcp and high ports) on the managed DNS/DHCP servers must be accessible by the machine that runs the Men & Mice Controller.
- If you configure PING sweeps (ICMP echo) on subnets in the Men & Mice Suite you want to make sure that ICMP echo requests are allowed by the machine that runs the Men & Mice Central process/service
The Men & Mice Management Console connects only to the Central service. The Central service connects to all the associated DNS/DHCP Server Controller services and to the updater service.