- Viewing the report definition list
- Creating a new report
- Viewing the report results
- Actions for reports
- Report sources
- Filter field types
- create and save new report definitions
- schedule reports to be generated
- run reports
- download reports in various formats
The main actions are shown in the action list above the list of report definitions.
|Create||Creates a new report. For more information, see Creating a new report.|
|Run||For more information, see Run now.|
|Properties||For more information, see Edit report properties|
|Schedule||For more information, see Schedule regular report generation|
|Delete||For more information, see Delete a report definition|
The "Create" action can be run without selecting a report, but all the other actions require the user to first select a report from the list.
Additional actions for reports are described in Actions for reports.
Viewing the report definition list
A report definition is a recipe for the actual report. It contains the filter criteria used to build the report, along with scheduling information and other properties.
The list of report definitions is shown when first entering the Reports section.
For help with finding and organizing the reports, use the filtering sidebar on the left-hand side of the list.
|All reports||Shows all report definitions.|
|Favorites||Shows report definitions that have been added to favorites. See Adding a report definition to favorites.|
|Category||Shows all report definitions that belong to a specific category|
Creating a new report
A new report definition can be created by clicking on the Create button above the report list, or by selecting the Create new report in the action list in the Inspector.
With the wizard, the user can:
- change the report definition's source,
- edit its filter,
- select the columns to be included in the output,
- and then run the report.
Additionally, it is possible to schedule a report to be generated at specific times or intervals.
After running the report, the user is presented with a preview of the results and has the option of saving a copy of the report in a number of different formats. See Viewing the report results.
A description of each report source is described in Report sources.
Step 1: Select source
Select one of the existing reports or a data source as the basis of the new report definition.
Step 2: Edit filtering criteria
In the second step, the user has the option of editing the filtering criteria. The user might want to make some adjustments to the fields in the filter of the selected report definition, for example extending a time span or selecting a different username. It is also possible to change the filter completely and create a new report definition.
Conditions and parenthesis
|And||All the conditions have to be met|
|Or||Sufficient that any of the conditions are met|
It is possible to add parenthesis to create sub-conditions with a different operator. The report definition shown in the screenshot above can be read as follows:
This translates into: "Show me hosts that have not answered during discovery in the last month that are either claimed or in use."
Depending on the type of field the user is presented with different comparison operators.
|String||Number, Timespan, Date||Boolean, Pick-list, Object|
doesn't start with
doesn't end with
doesn't match regex
Step 3: Select columns
It is possible to select which columns are to be included in the report result.
Note: All available columns are selected by default.
Step 4: Save or run report definition
By checking the "Run once" box, the report definition will not be saved, and the user will be presented with a dialog that shows the report results.
Press the Finish button to run the report and get the results.
By checking the "Open scheduling dialog after saving" users can schedule periodic executions of the report.
Step 5: Schedule
In this step, report generation can be scheduled to run periodically. The frequency and the interval can be specified, and a start date can be set.
For more information, see Schedule regular report generation.
Step 6: Run the report definition
After the report has been created, it can be generated at any time by selecting the report definition in the list and clicking on the the "Run report" task. (See Report results.)
Viewing the report results
Previewing and downloading a report
Previewing the report results can be done in various ways:
- Generating the report instead of saving it after going through the create report wizard.
- Selecting a report definition in the list and clicking on the "Run report" task.
- Preview a report result from a scheduled run:
- Select a report definition in the list.
- Find the "Reports" inspector item.
- Find a scheduled run of a report and click on the timestamp or the ellipsis and selecting "Preview" from the menu.
Note: the preview only shows up to the first 150 rows in the report. For the full report it needs to be downloaded.
In all cases, users will be presented with a preview of the report in a separate dialog. (As shown above.)
The results can then be downloaded by pressing the download button. The dropdown menu offers a number of file formats to select from (ie. CSV, XML, JSON or SYLK).
TIP: Sylk and CSV are handy for importing the data into a spreadsheet application for further processing.
Actions for reports
In the actions part of the Inspector, the available actions for each selected reports are shown.
Note: in the case of the reporting module not being enabled, the unavailable actions are greyed out.
- Select a report definition in the list and click on the Run now action.
- A dialog is displayed showing a preview of the report results. (See Report results.)
Schedule regular report generation
- Select a report definition in the list and click on the Schedule action.
- The following dialog is shown where scheduling can be configured.
|Enabled||When checked, scheduling is enabled for this report|
|Frequency||Specifies the frequency in which the report is scheduled to run.|
|Every||Specifies the interval in which the report is scheduled to run.|
|Starts on||Specifies the starting date for the report to be run on.|
By selecting for example '2' and 'Weeks', a new report is generated at the selected start on date/time and then at every 2 weeks afterward.
Duplicate an existing report definition
Use this option to create a new report definition based upon an existing one.
- Select a report definition in the list and click on the Duplicate action.
- The create new report wizard will be shown, and the user will be allowed to edit the filtering criteria for the new report. (As described in Step 2 in Creating a new report.)
Delete a report definition
- Select a user defined report definition in the list and click on the Delete action.
- A dialog is presented prompting the user if they want to delete the report definition.
Edit report definition properties
Both the report definition properties and the filtering criteria for the report can be edited.
Note: only user created report definitions can be edited.
- Select a report definition in the list and click on the Edit report properties action.
- A dialog is presented which allows for specifying the properties for the report, along with editing the filtering criteria.
- Clicking on "Edit" for the filtering criteria brings up the following dialog:
Report results take up disk space on the Men & Mice Central server. The system allows for specifying the maximum number of reports (or the maximum number of days to keep each result) for each report definition. Oldest results are deleted when the limit is reached.
- Select a report definition in the list and click on the Scavenge reports action.
- A dialog is presented which allows for specifying the properties for scavenging reports.
Adding a report definition to favorites
- Select a report in the list and click on the Delete action.
- Click on the star button to the left of the Quick filter field:
There are 24 reports definitions in the list under Reports (not counting user defined reports).
- 12 base report definition sources: sources that either allow the user to query one particular object type in the system (e.g. Activity); or sources that give access to a particular data relation in the system (e.g. Host discovery).
- 12 derivatives of the base report sources showing the specification possibilities they offer. (Zone creation/deletion building upon Activity and IP reconciliation building upon Host discovery.)
|Report types||Built-in reports|
New users added
|Address space merge conflicts*|
|DHCP lease activity|
|Discovered hardware addresses with multiple addresses*|
|DNS records||Address records|
|DNS zones||Enabled DNS zones of type slave|
|Host discovery*||IP reconciliation|
|Lease hardware address with multiple IP addresses*|
|Men & Mice suite messages|
|SOA Records||SOA records with abnormal minimum TTL value|
SOA records with abnormal refresh value
* Specialized report source.
Filter field types
|String, number||Free text input.|
|Date and time||Date time string or current time delta shorthand units, e.g. -2w, +1d.|
|Timespan||Timespan shorthand units, e.g. 24h, 2d, 30m|
|Object, boolean, options||A dropdown is presented with the available options.|
Date time formats
General date time format consist of date and/or time (separated by a space).
Timestamps formatted according to RFC3339.
Current time deltas, i.e. a date time relative from now, can also be used.
To include more than one value for a particular field the field has to be added again to the filter with an "OR" condition. (For example: the Address records, where the record type field has to be either A or AAAA.)